Like I mentioned before in my others Australian post, I was there for work (in Brisbane) and also some days in Papua New Guinea. So, I only had the chance to visit around the country during the weekends. Australia is huge!!! and also amazing. I hope I can transmit with words the incredible time I had in Melbourne.
Where to stay?
I was so lucky that 2 of my friends live in Melbourne and I stayed with them in their cozy apartment. It feels so good to stay with friends, especially after traveling alone for a while.
Anyway I did some research before they confirmed they´ll be in Melbourne that weekend, and I believe Space Hotel seems to be modern, well located and with good prices for individual and shared bedrooms.
Also, next to my friend’s apartment in South Yarra, I walked next to the Claremont Guest House which seems cozy and has better prices. It´s not right in the centre of the city, but it has the tram very close and it will take you 15 minutes to get to the center, taking only 1 tram.
- From the airport there is a bus that takes you directly to the city centre for 19 AUD$ (Skybus)
- The Tram is very easy and fast to use. I bought a PT Card in one of the 7 Eleven stores per 6 AUD$ and added 15 AUD$ that lasted 2 days and allowed me to use all the public transportation. Apparently, the maximum you pay during the week is 6 AUD$ per day and 8 AUD$ for the weekend days
- One of my favorite transport in Australia is the UBER. Very easy, comfortable and cheaper than a taxi
Where to eat?
- Burger Shack rooftop bar. Excellent burgers in a peaceful environment with a nice view
- Mr. Miyagi. Amazing Japanese
What did I miss?
- Philip Island
- Mornington Peninsula (wines and spas)
- Wine Yarra Valley
- Sunset in St. Kilda pier to see the penguins
Melbourne Day 1: The City
Melbourne Day 2: Great Ocean Road
Melbourne Day 3: St. Kilda & Bathing Boxes
Back to: Australia, general info